Suzanne and I are like many people in a lot of ways. We have goals, we have dreams, we have frustrations, we have failures.
These all take different forms. The goals are small – I've been a little heavy and want to lose a few pounds. The goals are big - I want to sail across the Atlantic.
The dreams are gi-normous - I was taught you never dream small.
The frustrations are tiny – one of my kids didn't take out the trash after being asked several times. The frustrations are large – during the summer, as COVID was ravaging the country our family of 6 (then) lost our third car, while cars one and two were still down, to mechanical issues that cost thousands to fix.
The failures are insignificant – I didn't make it to the gym this morning. The failures have painful consequences – I failed to oversee a junior associate and ended up with a malpractice claim against my firm.
Over time, my wife and I have been given a lot of nuggets of wisdom that we can easily remember and repeat to get ourselves moving and keep ourselves going. I've become a bigger fan of understanding the human mind than I used to think I'd be, and I've come to realize that the words we use and the phrases we speak to ourselves determine a lot about who we are going to be. I serve an omnipotent being that I believe spoke life into existence and who has told me that I was created in his image. This means that I can speak things into existence as well.
You may or may not share that belief. However, there are enough studies and anecdotes about powerful people with a lot of potential being stuck in small boxes they have created for themselves, or small people with very little going for them growing far beyond who they were “supposed” to be that I have come to believe in the truth of self-talk and a determination to persevere.
As a result, on this magnificent Monday morning I would like to share with you a number of the quotes that Suzanne and I have gathered over the years that we have used to pick ourselves up and get going.
- Almost any verse from the book of Proverbs.
- I have unlimited energy; the more I do, the more I want to do. – Dave Harms; Primerica
- Remember that failure is an event, not a person. Yesterday ended last night. Today is a brand new day...and it's yours. – Zig Ziglar
- Attitude reflects leadership, captain. – Julius Campbell; Remember the Titans.
- I can do anything for 60 seconds. - Tony Horton, P90X
- If you want to run your own business, you have to learn how to sell. - Robert Kiyosaki; Rich Dad, Poor Dad
- Push it, pull it, kick it, throw it; do something. – Lee & Suzanne Stringham misquote of Gerry Bertiers; Remember the Titans
- You can get everything in life you want if you help enough other people get what they want. - Zig Ziglar; See You At The Top
- The officers are responsible for their own ****ing morale. – General George C. Marshall; Nineteen Stars
- You are not dismissed; you are sent. - Jason Paredes; Fielder Church
- If all your problems can be fixed with money you don't have any problems. – Beva Cline; LCU Firecracker
- Don't get cooked in the squat. – Zig Ziglar; See You At The Top
- I have never been more excited than I am today. – Dave Harms; Primerica
There are many more I can share, but I hope for today that these can be a blessing to you.